Subsidence and Underpinned Property Insurance

Finding insurance for a property that has suffered from structural movement in the past can be difficult. If you are buying a property that has suffered from subsidence or has been previously underpinned then it is sensible to ensure that you can obtain adequate insurance cover to satisfy your mortgage provider.

Most, if not all, mortgage providers will require that your insurance covers you for subsidence, heave and landslip, so that you are covered should the problem of movement arise again.

There are many signs that a building is suffering from movement but the most noticeable are diagonal cracks in the brickwork and plaster, or a door or window not opening and closing as it should. These should be fully investigated by a qualified structural engineer and a structural report obtained. It is likely that you will need this for your mortgage and insurance applications.

Many insurers will not offer cover for properties that have been previously underpinned or suffered movement due to the substantial cost that can be incurred when remedial work is carried out. Therefore, if you are considering buying a property which has suffered movement, you should approach us for advice. We will ensure appropriate cover can be secured early in the purchasing process. It can sometimes take longer than expected to obtain cover and this will likely hold up any mortgage application.

Any future property value may be affected by the previous movement regardless of how long ago the damage occurred and was repaired. However the risk of future problems can be reduced by regular maintenance of water drainage systems, also trees and bushes near to the property should be regularly cut back to prevent excessive growth.

Cover available for:

  • New purchases
  • Recently underpinned properties
  • Solutions for property insurance on-going problems
  • Historical buildings
  • Buildings with no existing cover

Home insurance policies for properties that have suffered subsidence sourced by Delite Insurance Agency include the following key benefits as standard:

  • Loss or damage to the contents of your home
  • Personal belongings such as jewellery
  • New for old replacement of home contents
  • Cost of temporary accommodation if your home becomes uninhabitable due to insured damage
  • Loss or damage to the buildings of your home
  • Fridge and freezer contents
  • Cover for garden contents
  • Replacement locks and keys
  • Accidental damage to home entertainment systems
  • Student accommodation cover
  • Cover for cash at home
  • Extra cover for birthdays, weddings and religious festivals

Your home insurance can be extended to include the following additional benefits:

  • Legal assistance cover
  • Accidental damage cover
  • Personal possessions cover
  • Home emergency cover
  • Loss of keys cover

CALL 01634 570020

Call us for a quote

FAX 01634 576767

Send us a fax


Send us an email


Delite Insurance Agency
20 Jeffery Street
Kent ME7 1DE



Competitive prices
Flexible policy cover
Full range of insurance products
Independent advice from experienced professionals
Swift and simple quotation process
Friendly and personal service

With our long-standing expertise in home insurance, particularly with unoccupied homes, we pride ourselves on the excellent service we deliver to all of our clients.